Apache Miscellaneous Documentation
Below is a list of additional documentation pages that apply to the
Apache web server development project.
- Description of Apache's Application Programming Interface.
- Frequently-Asked Questions concerning the Apache project and server.
- Reading Client Input in Apache 1.2
- Describes differences between Apache 1.1 and 1.2 in how modules
read information from the client.
- Compatibility with NCSA
- Notes about Apache's compatibility with the NCSA server.
- How to use XSSI and Negotiation
for custom ErrorDocuments
- Describes a solution which uses XSSI and negotiation
to custom-tailor the Apache ErrorDocuments to taste, adding the
advantage of returning internationalized versions of the error
messages depending on the client's language preferences.
- File Descriptor use in Apache
- Describes how Apache uses file descriptors and talks about various
limits imposed on the number of descriptors available by various
- A description of the causes of Apache processes going into the
FIN_WAIT_2 state, and what you can do about it.
- Instructions about how to accomplish some commonly-desired server
- HTTP Features list
- A tab-separate table of HTTP features implemented and tested in Apache.
- Known Client Problems
- A list of problems in HTTP clients which can be mitigated by Apache.
- No PGP
- Why we took PEM and PGP support out of the base Apache distribution.
- Performance Notes (BSD 4.4)
- Some notes about ways to improve/optimize Apache performance on
BSD 4.4 systems.
- Performance Notes (Digital UNIX)
- Extracts of USENET postings describing how to optimize Apache
performance on Digital UNIX systems.
- Performance Notes (HPUX)
- Email from an HP engineer on how to optimize HP-UX 10.20.
- Performance Notes (General)
- Some generic notes about how to improve the performance of your
- Performance Notes -- Apache Tuning
- Notes about how to (run-time and compile-time) configure
Apache for highest performance. Notes explaining why Apache does
some things, and why it doesn't do other things (which make it
- Security Tips
- Some "do"s - and "don't"s - for keeping your
Apache web site secure.
- Virtual Hosts (IP-based)
- Excerpts and notes about configuring and using Apache IP-based virtual
- Windows Bug with Web Keepalive
- A brief description of a known problem with Microsoft Windows and
web sites accessed using keepalive connections.